Thursday 13 September 2007

Reuse/import coredata model

So I've finished learning how to interrogate ebay using cocoa/objc and can now read the data without having to resort to ruby

So now I have my tools on how to get the data and can stop using Ruby for that side, which I wasnt too bothered about except the current rubycocoa version can't use webkit as I have installed Safari 3 and its not compatible. This is why I've been changing to writing a pure cocoa app, that and wanting to know how things work..

So now I have my cocoa ebayapi, and my original rubycocoa app, and I was trying to figure out how to take the original main menu.nib and also the original xcode coredata model, and add them to a new project. I couldnt seem to find any direct info on that, although I do get the documentation, I just wasnt sure what steps I needed.

This is what I came up with
  • 1. Create new coredata project

  • 2. Copy mainmenu.nib over the new projects mainmenu.nib

  • 3. Add File to Project and select the previous projects xcode datamodel (xcdatamodel )

  • 4. For testing, copy the xml data file from ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/oldproject/oldproject.xml to samepath/newproject/oldproject.xml

  • 5. alter project_Appdelegate.m to use the new(old) xml filename, not the default one for the new project name

  • 6. Go into the mainmenu.nib in interface builder and pull in the header file from xcode for the appdelegate, and delete the old app delegate.

  • 7. reconnect files owner to new app delegate

  • 8. change the arraycontrollers to use the new managed object context from teh app delegatge ( in their bindings )


That seems to work at the moment

I wonder if theres anything I'm missing.

And now I remember how much recursion makes my head spin.

No comments: